I Forge Iron

Living Large

We had our ABANA affiliate meeting at a pro's shop and after a great demo he offered to let us "play".

So I got to try working some 2.5" square stock I had brought---just in case---on his 500# chambersburg powerhammer and on a 100# LG. We welded a 4' long 1" sq handle on it and heating it HOT (we had pieces forge weld in the forge by just touching!---Had to hammer them apart and no flux!)) I was able to make them into the shafts for some stake anvils, over 3' in total length but part of that is a spike for a stump and the tenon for the anvil head.

Big stuff and big hammers can tire and sweat you out!

Now to clean them up and "rivet" the heads on. (these started out as odd sledges, one was a spike driver, others look more like drilling hammers and I noticed how much they looked like medieval armouring stake anvil shapes and so...)

Now when he gets the 2000# Chambersburg running I might try to get a crew together to do an anvil!

Fund it? That's just the starting point! You dig and cast in you cement base. Then move the hammer onto it. And then you BUILD a shop around it!!!!!

There are very few "shops" set up to move such a big hammer into them. Everybody I have known has ended up building the shop around the hammer.

But it sure would be nice to have something more than a 25# or 50#. But that also means working larger stock and projects to justify it. And booming up the business accordingly. And another ... hobby ... becomes a business.

A tricky cycle of ADDICTION, this blacksmithing!

Mikey

Better make it 2 in case they are *small*.... What size, type, condition are we talking about? I can't sell plasma right now as the Doc's won't let me; but I am working on making rasptlesnakes for the state fair---they usually pay for my winter propane fill-up for the gas forge; but...

http://www.photoshop.com/user/Bentiron/?wf=share&trackingid=BTAGC&galleryid=d5d728422f7d48d587bffffc2bcc8158 Maybe this will work and maybe it won't. Let's see;) OK, it kind of works but you got to click on "My Gallery" to see the hammer and the parts. They are Niles and Bennet 1,100# hammers. They gotta go along with some pneumatic upsetting machines, turret drill press and a 25# Little Giant Power Hammer for them what live small.

Edited by Bentiron1946