I Forge Iron

Interesting video -- O/A straight cut track device

Hollis:

Yeah, I thought the same thing. But I have to admit that's a really nice LONG cut without any of those occasional blowouts I get when my arm gets tired or twitches. Nothing I've ever done on that scale has been critical enough to go to all that trouble.

I finally got around to starting the first dovetail on the sowblock for the #40. At this rate, I should be done by 2012. :)

Interesting setup. Why power it with the drill, would it not work by sliding the carriage by hand?

Only critique I have was the cameraman moving with the tempo of the music....lol. Of course, that is one of my major pet peeves with movies on youtube....how much dramamine is needed to watch...lol.

key: the advantage of the powered travel is the same one as any motorized axis... more precise travel and much more even cut. At least for me, it isn't keeping the torch at a constant height along a guide that is the problem, but rather keeping a steady travel for that long a cut. As the man pointed out in his original post on PM, it was pretty much a one-shot setup that he will put away until it's needed again.

If I HAD to have that nice a cut every now and then, I think I'd be tempted to make his jig, but maybe use a fixed DC motor, since I have that sort of junk laying around. I also have some fairly long lead screws.... dang... now I'm actually thinking about this... I need another project like I need another hole in the head. :)

Ed,

I couldn't tell on the video, but was the height adjustable for the torch? If not, that would be another concern if a person was to build one for more than occasional use. I'm not up on torch cutting, but seems the tip to target height would be an issue depending on thickness of the plate being cut.

Key, I really don't know. I saw the thread and video on Practical Machinist and thought it creative enough to point out here, but I've never seen the setup other than the video. My guess is that the guy that built it set the torch at the optimal height for that job of 1/2" plate and fixed it there, because he admitted it was built for a specific task and did well.

My guess is that it was also rather fun to do, and probably didn't cost him much more than scrap and time. Sometimes the chance to fool around and make something like that actually makes a job a lot more fun. Maybe it isn't the best longterm economical solution, but I'm all for taking opportunities to be creative sometimes for no other reason than the joy of it.

Unless you're torching really thin stock the preheat flame cones should just be off the plate and tipped a few degrees in the direction of travel.

The thickness of the steel determines flame adjustment and travel speed, not spacing from the plate.

Frosty

Like I said, I'm not up on flame cutting, so didn't know if that would matter or not. I've only cut a few things with a torch, and really didn't pay attention to spacing from the material at the time. I was just trying to get it cut and not burn myself or anyone else in the process.

On a side note, is there any good references to look for about oxy/acetylene welding and cutting?