I Forge Iron

Hello All!

pattywmom

My name is Patty and joined today to help my son. He is in High School and interested in becoming a blacksmither/bladesmither. He spends hours in front of the campfire hammering out pipes into long blades and is looking for more ... of everything! TONS to read I see :)

Greetings,

Since you live in New Hampshire you might want to find out about the New England Blacksmith association.

Contact information for NEW ENGLAND BLACKSMITHS
Pres: Owen Bostrom
99 Chase Hill Rd.
Ashaway, RI 02804
(401) 377-2611
obostrom@cox.net
Ed: Fred Mikkelson
23 Waterman Dr.
North Scituate, RI 02857-2036
(401)647-3086
fred@trollshammerforge.com
New England Blacksmiths

Welcome aboard Patty, glad to have you.

I've done a lot of campfire forging on jobs in the Alaskan bush, mostly playing around after work instead of drinking but on a few occasions it came in really handy on the job.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you getting involved for his sake though I'm sure you're going to end up with a lot of cool forged projects around the house and yard. If you get him signed up here we can give him a hand directly. (sort of) He'll need his own account though.

On the site we have several sections geared towards self teaching starting with the "Getting Started and Lessons in Blacksmithing". The "Blueprints" section has how to posts from working blacksmiths on subjects ranging from making tools and equipment, Improvising things you can't buy, projects, etc. etc. Just pack him a lunch and something to drink, once he starts reading he'll need some nourishment. ;)

Then of course talking to the gang is a good way to get answers to questions, problem solve and get a bubble or two popped. A person shouldn't have too many bubbles you know.

Frosty

hi Patty really nice that you joined to encourage your son - people on here have loads of ways to help him get into smithing - i think there are a few youngsters on here , i was talking to a dutch boy last night on the chat who is 14 - there must be others. as a mum of young- uns myself i reckon this is a great forum for them to learn from if thats what they want. hope you/he finds the help he needs:)