I Forge Iron

Hard day's work

Spent all yesterday working on my shop, which is a change from working in it.

The day yeilded the beginnings of electricity, in the form of lights and outlets. The cable is baisically an above ground extension cord for now, but will be buried eventually. That'll be a project, since the shop is about 40 yards from the garage, where I'm getting power from.

I also now have two hoods. One is over my main, permanent, forge and the other is over my portable forge, which is also used in the shop by my wife and brother. My shop is in an old barn, so before now my smoke removal system has been opening the doors and letting the smoke out through them and the spaces between the wall boards. I haven't tried them out yet, taking a day off today, but I'll be out Monday.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick,

Best of luck with your forge hoods but it's been my experience that they don't work. The smoke just fills up the hood and then rolls out into your face.

A better idea is the side draft forge. Mine is just a 10" pipe that sits on my forge top. A half circle cut out with about a 3-4" radius sits right next to the fire.

The smoke and fire is drwan sideways into the stack. Very little smoke escapes into the shop.

Take a look here http://www.beautifuliron.com/steelhoods.htm

Good luck.

Bob

Hey Chris,

Just thought I post the attached pic. I'm in an old barn as well and for various reasons can't use a standard exhaust stack. This is my forced draw system; it uses an old furnace blower motor for the draw. The hood is height adjustable from 10" to 20" above the fire. The ducting takes a 90 deg turn before the blower motor and then goes out a pre-existing window. Today was the first firing indoors there was no smoke at all in the shop. The idea came from Darrell Markewitz of the Wareham Forge.

Jason

435.attach

Hey Chris,

The sparks didn't seem to be a problem; I didn't see any outside the shop and the blower parts are all steel. In addition the other side of the blower was left open so it's drawing ambient air from the room and mixing with the forge exhaust on the output side of the blower. Hope that explains things a bit better.

Jason

444.attach