I Forge Iron

Greetings!!!

cilbuper

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Mike and I am new to blacksmithing (is that the correct word?). I have always been fascinated by those who have the ability to work with metal and have always dreamed about doing it myself.

I am 29 years old and have worked with computer/network's for the last 10 years and have hated most of it. I would like to start this off as a hobby and possibly move towards it as a career, if I find that it suits me and I can sustain myself. Any advice as to what to read or do is GREATLY appreciated!

I do not know any of the black smith "lingo" so bear with me while I learn. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of the forum!

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide in the future and thank you for reading this!

hi mike im quite new on this forum too - if i were you i would check out the blueprints and see if you can try one of the simpler techniques. do you have any equipment or anywhere to work? where do you live? there is a book review section here that has lots of titles you could try reading - hope you find a good place to start - just get stuck in really would be my advice!:)

Welcome aboard Mike, glad to have ya.

Ayup, blacksmithing or forging are correct for beating the b'jeebers out of glowy hot iron, as is . . . BSing. ;)

Beth has suggested the "Blueprints" which is a great place to find how tos to make your tools, equipment and projects donated by working blacksmiths and dedicated hobbyists. Two other good places to start reading are the "Getting Started and Lessons in Blacksmithing" sections. Getting started will help you find, improvise and set up the tools and equipment of the craft while Lessons will give you step by step projects and exercises to help develop the skills sets you'll need.

Find a smithing group near you and join. It'll put you in contact with blacksmiths who in turn will help you find tools and offer hands on help.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're around they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty