I Forge Iron

More Comedy

A blacksmithing friend and I were working at our local guild's forge on Sat. We quit around 4 and decided to hit a local antique auction. Lo and behold there was an anvil there. It was a Stourbridge English anvil around 110#, not bad shape just normal edge wear for its age. Neither of us were really looking for one but thought we would stick around and see what it would sell for. We had enough cash to pay up to $2 per # which is the max it would be worth to us.

Well the anvil was about half way through the inventory. The auctioneer started and two hours later he was only about half way to the anvil. We had both been working in the heat all day and decided since we didn't really need or want this anvil we would just head for home.

The funny part is that my friend called this morning to tell me that he got a call from another guy he knew who was there and saw the anvil sell.

It sold for $15.00.

We are both kicking ourselves for not staying. Who knows what we could have gotten it for and turned around and sold it for a profit.

So to all of you looking for anvils. They are out there you just need to be diligent and have your cash ready.