I Forge Iron

A project with old bolts

I was thumbing through the book "A complete modern blacksmith" and saw a project that appealed to me, take an old square head bolt, of which I seem to have collected a few, and forge it into a plant hanger, so I thought, what the heck, well I'll actually have 2 threads today, the one that worked, and the abject failure, this is the one that worked.
1. heat bolt
2. flatten bolt head
3. neck bolt
4. peen bolt head on underside
5. draw out bolt
6. curl bolt
the last pic shows another bolt I made into a short spike, just don't want to waste time between heats, so I do a few, so actually I had 2 successes and one abject failure.

Nice job Mike, better than the book for sure.

Oh yeah, "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" is one of the very few books I consider a must have. It's not only a good primer for blacksmithing it's a good primer for tool making and shoe string shop building. One of my hands down favorites.

Frosty

I have to agree with you guys, I keep the book handy, I love the headlight bbq he spells out, really cracks me up, makes me want to make one to go along with my thermos hobo stove!! What we need is more books with little projects for us sick minded "I gotta try that one" kind of folk!!