I Forge Iron

foot powered hammer

Maybe these might help

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/data/745/ollie_vid.AVI

Other (Older)Swing Arm Treadle Hammers go to the very last one, it is as basic as basic can be. I am going to make an "updated" version of this.

I have a shed that will soon be my "shop", it is 8'x10' with an 8' roof so space is a premium. A couple modifications and it should work for me.

Let me know if this works for you and what you ended up with.

Here's a treadle hammer that I made using a 16 pound cross pein. I can remove the hammer and turn it over for the cross pein. Also made a flat anvil die and a bottom fuller die. They are removable and interchangeable. Just DON'T try to motorize it, like I did. I got it all screwed up!! :D It hit hard with foot power. Not so hard, motorized. Good luck with what ever way you build it.
Oliver Treadle Hammer Completed - Blacksmith Photo Gallery
Oliver Treadle Hammer Dies - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

Edited by CurlyGeorge
Images Didn't post

Here are a bunch of pictures of the ollie that is in the video. They show the spring mounts, treadle adjuster, and pivot in a little more detail. The head is 16 LBS and mounted to a piece of 1 inch solid bar. The springs are garage door springs from the hardware store. hope this helps.

16056.attach

16057.attach

16058.attach

16059.attach

16060.attach

16061.attach

Jose, I really like the idea of being portable and being able to strap to an anvil stump. That's cool. I noticed that you have your handle attachment father from the hammer head than I do, on mine. I think that yours probably gives more leverage on the handle. Thanks for sharing that. I'm gonna modify mine. :D

Im glad you like it!! There fun little gizmos. The one thing that I would recomend is to put a second brace just a bit higher up on the stump so that the hammer does not rock around too much durring hard use. I ended up building both of the ones in the pictures out of the scrap pile within two weeks of eachother for two different friends. the fun thing about ollies is using what you have aroud to make a whaking machine. The larger ollie was made for a bladesmith so it was not made adjustable, but the little portable unit was made to be used as a striker, so I made it adjustable so that the smith can adjust it to strike tools of various heights squarely.

divermike.. Unfortunatly I don't really have any drawings for most of the stuff that I build, I just work with what I have and adjust everything accordingly. I've foun that I rarely build more than 1 of anything the same. The design of things like this all depend on what I have left over from jobs past, and I am allways trying to learn from my prior adventures so designs constantly evolve. Let me know if you have any specific questions and Ill tell you how I worked through the problems.

• 2 weeks later...