I Forge Iron

trying to weld

beast

all right this is agravating*** ******!!! i'm trying to forge weld, im getting a good heat i beleive, clean with wire brush then flux and beat and they just seperate every time what am i screwing up now

Edited by mod07

This advise is more for a gas forge fire but will work in coal also

heat the piece to weld, near the end of the heat, heat up a piece of 3/16 round that has been tappeared to a point. When both are the same color and still in the fire touch the 3/16 to the other piece. If at the right heat you should feel them try to stick to each other. If it does not stick in the fire it will not stick on the anvil.

A friend told me the old guy who taught him said to bring you mteals to heat, turn off the blower, go to the door to see if any customers are comong in the door and then go back and make the weld. This was telling him to let the steel get an even heat.

Other demonstrators I watched said welding used to be so easy before everyone told him how hard it was and Bob Patrick said welding was like Olympic skating you cand do it once a month and expect to win. Soo keep trying once you get it figured out and keep practicing welding will be no problem

GOOD LUCK

Seeing as how one of our missions is to eliminate misconceptions, I feel I have to say something about the "liquid surfaces" idea. When we're welding, the liquid we see on the surface is either scale, flux or a combination. Think about a billet or "faggot" weld. How could those inner surfaces be liquid without the whole thing turning to liquid? And many have seen people weld at far less than what we would consider "welding heat". If the surfaces were liquid, why would you have to hammer on them? In technical circles it's known as "solid-state welding" to distinguish it from "fusion welding". "Fusion" means turning to liquid although we often use it to mean join.

I do agree that the best thing is practice, practice, practice. I differ with the Olympic skater analogy, I think it's more like riding a bike, seems impossible until you do it and then you never forget how - but you still fall down now and then.

Edited by nakedanvil