I Forge Iron

Working Pace of a Blacksmith

Ted T

Working Pace of a Blacksmith
One of the members recently posted a video of a blacksmith who was working. I noticed that the blacksmith in the video was working at a pace similar to what I was required to do when I was an industrial blacksmith.
The pace that he was working at was about the same pace we were expected to work at (all day) every day as an industrial blacksmith.
There was no standing around waiting for a piece to come up to heat.

We were required to carefully plan out how different production pieces would work together for the efficient and timely use of the anvil and forge several days in advance of each day of production.

That was so the selected combination of forging pieces to be forged that day would be compatible (symbiotic) and work harmoniously together with each other in order for you to always have iron in the forge

I don't know the first thing about being an industrial smith, but even as a hobby smith, I tend to keep at least 2 pieces always going, just seems efficient to me, and I don't like standing around when I'm working towards a goal. That Indian fellow was hustling in that video for sure.

Been there and done that myself Ted. And now ,like you, I enjoy working at my own pace in my little shop. As with you, I have no one around during the day but the cat and dog and they are more interested in laying about or playing than in what I am doing. I also enjoy every non-profitable minute of it and really enjoy the chance to try something new "just because".:)

Terry

There is always that fine line between cracking the whip for maximum production/profit and taking the time to do a project well. Forcing "speed" can tip that balance -- from enjoying the project and doing it well over to hating the work and having to produce produce produce etc. SOME repeticious projects can be done in a "speed" mode, and can often benefit from it. Like making nails as an example. Once you get ... in the groove ... it is much easier to keep busy with several "irons in the fire". But sometimes you can't "think out" the whole process, and have to stop and ponder several times during the forging. It all depends upon the work.

Some people like that "hard core bottom line corporation" approach. But too many get "burned out" by it. So I prefer the simple one-man shop/business approach. I do my "production" modes when necessary, and enjoy the "creative" times when I can.

And then there is that difference in working style/method -- between that "frantic/frenzy to get it done now and quick" mode, and a working pace you can maintain all day long and end up getting more work done in the end.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

Mikey - strolling along instead of running to ... chase that buck!

Interesting topic Ted.
I have thought about this for years.
I had been a furniture and cabinet maker for close to 20 years. The last "real job" I had (10 years ago) was in a production furniture shop. In the end, I ended running a crew of 6 for about 1.5 years. I fully understand about ALWAYS keeping ones feet moving in a production way AND tracking virtually every step to then generate efficiency data to take out all the slack time...Big pain in the ***. That could be the reason I'm having such a hard time getting back into wood working as a way of complementing the metal work I'm doing. Nothing like production to take the shine off! Funny though, I still track my time:confused: Old habits die hard...

I'm kinda approaching it the way Mike explains it... I just wish I could get my feet headed in the direction of Money rather than more education sometimes. But hay, maybe the burnout will wear off and a nice worn patina shine will come back:)

Having the luxury (either planned or not) sometimes to slow down and smell the roses can be a wonderful and inspiring thing.