I Forge Iron

Ceramic blanket coatings?

I have not built a propane forge in a long time and just wanted to know is ITC 100 still the standard or are the better or easier to use ridgediziers out there? If so what are my other choices. One more qeustion, I have many round forge bodies to build off of but do box style forges work better? Thanks

Edited by Dave M
spelling

I'm building an oval job. Zoeller Forge offers a cheaper product called plistex that is supposed to be comparable, and itc100 and plistex can go over each other after being fired. I intend to use plistex from Zoeller on the forge I am building now. Anvilfire seems to have a better price on ceramic wool currently.

This is my first forge, so I have been reading, but have not used either product yet.

Phil

I use ITC-100. It is not just a rigidizer or stabilizer. ITC-100 is a ceramic coating, making the refractory material more "reflective" and used to insulate beyond what the capability of the refractory material by itself.

I have not used Plistex, but would like to hear of your results if you use it. I think it is quite a bit cheaper than the ITC products.

ITC-100 is a black body IR reflector, reflects heat in short. It isn't a stabilizer, rigidizer, etc. though it serves as such in a limited way.

Plistex is a stabilizer and makes a good under coat for ITC-100. I've had decent luck using a thin kaolin slip as a rigidizer myself, with a top coat of ITC-100.

Frosty

In any case, insulating castable, or insulating fire brick, or regular castable, or super duty firebrick are better in the long run than any blanket with any rigidizer. ITC is a great material for top coat on any of these systems.

Other manufactures have the same coating by other names. ITC is good because it is sold in quantities appropriate for our use.