I Forge Iron

Hi

Just a note to introduce myself. Hobbyist with in interest in various light forging, possibly creating straps and/or hinges for doors I would like to build, simple hooks for hanging old hand tools on the walls to organize my space, or even tools themself such as a hammer.

I recentely bought an anvil, and picked it up yesterday, and planning to give it a bath in electrolyte soon.

I'm mostly interested in woodworking, and want to use metal with it. Would love to forge my own hinges for small boxes, even. Why? I don't know. I'll spend way more time doing it as I will the woodworking itself. I don't do this for time or money, I just know that I do this because I like to do things myself and enjoy creating.

As you can see if you click-da-pic, it's a bit tired and has seen better days, but I'm hoping there's a bit more life in it, and if for nothing else but resetting the blades on hand saws.

right.jpg

After it gets a bath, I'll have a better idea. But it seems there could be some flat area between the chips, if looking at pic 4 of that series, but from the sides there is definite sway.

Could use some advise on what to do, and I will post pics after I get it cleaned up after it's bath. The little supository hardie seems like a plus I guess.

370.attach

371.attach

372.attach

373.attach

374.attach

375.attach

Welcome aboard. There's alot of smarts on this forum and all ya got to do is ask! Nice looking anvil. Once you get to making hinges, and other items for your wooden boxes I wouldn't be a bit suprised that you will do more blacksmithing! It WILL get in your blood. :) Have fun.

Thanks all, for the welcomes.

I was concerned after reading some FAQs and such for new blacksmiths that maybe this anvil was tired and/or worn out. I'll clean it up before I do anything, then see what folks think.

I've seen some great blueprints on this site, and the one about J hooks seemed useful for what I might try first. I need to get a forge setup, but in the meantime trying to get some time with a friend that forges to see if he can't help me some to get going.

Thanks Jr., I think it's still unknown how much of a metal mongrel you folks will turn me into...and even though I do have a primary interest in wood, I hope to compliment it with some metal.

I know that some folks cringe when someone mentions Weygers, but I have to admit to finding his life, creations, and ability to share with others to be something quite special. I don't have any books on blacksmithing, but was planning to get the Andrews book, as well as Weygers.

Weygers created a very unusual house, one that was built of materials off his land, as well as recycled products. I admire his passion to incorporate metal, wood, and other materials into usable products. His house was yet a perfect example of that. I know that his wife lives in the house still, I don't know if folks can visit it or not, but it would be something to see, IMO.

Is the Andrews book the one you would reccomend? I mean, besides the "Strasil Teachings", of course! I see there's some great smiths on this site, so you're in good company, aside from me!

Alan, I am not familiar with either of those books, although I have heard people mention the Weygers book on here. The book I do have is Plain and Ornamental forging by Schwarzkoph. I learned most of my smithing by watching and hands on.
There's no better way than learning with hands on, IMO, and I hope to get some of that myself.

I have a few friends that forge around the area, and hoping I can get some time in with them, to get started on the right foot.