I Forge Iron

Why are anvils so scarce?

I think your basic premise is flawed. There are as many anvils out there as you care to pay for. Just pick up the telephone and call Blacksmiths Depot in USA or Vaughans in UK etc. What you mean is that there are few anvils at the price which you are willing to pay. That is a different matter of course. Supply and demand sets the price of any commodity. If you are unwilling to pay the established market price you won't get much of anything.

I wasn't asking about new anvils. What I meant was that People in the US seem prepared to pay very high prices (compared to UK) for anvils that, in Europe would be considered scrap. Many of the queries on this forum concern the difficulty in finding tools at a reasonable price, I assume that this is due to scarcity.
I don't know of anyone other than schools and colleges who uses one of Vaughan's overpriced offerings.

Here are 18 more anvils and two swage blocks that I found on Craiglist in the state of Pennsylvania today, ranging from around 160 pounds to about 500 pounds, in case anyone needs help in finding anvils:

SEVERAL BLACKSMITH ANVILS AND SWAGE BLOCKS FOR SALE :D

Maybe we could create a "sticky" thread for folks to post information about anvils that they found, so as to help those who are looking for anvils. These anvils added to the total add up to over 23 anvils that I know of for sale in this area alone!

Edited by UnicornForge