I Forge Iron

Fire Irons set

Hi everyone,
This is a fire irons set I made for a fundraiser a group I belong to is running.
This set can be set up as a tripod, an overhead hanger (I call it a crane) and as a spit. Along with the 2 cradles (uprights) and the cross bar (1/2" square stock that doubles as the spit, I also included in the set 2 pairs of S-hooks (one pair long, one pair short), a pair of meat tines and a coal rake. The wodden handle for the spit attaches with an isert and wedge arrangement I came up with. My group realy loved it and anticipate great ticket sales for our next fundraiser. I think it turned out okay.
Sam

Thanks George,
The tines are not punched - I don't have a square punch.
I hade to drill it and file it square.
Thanks for the kind words.
Sam

I like to drill the hole just under size then drift the hole square with some of the stock it'll be used on. Sometime I still use square file to clean up the corners.

I'm meaning to try this on my next set - someone on another thread mentioned using mild steel for drifts. I would never have even thought of that because I've always thought mild steel to be too "soft" for something like drifting.

Do I need to heat-treat or temper the steel to drift with it? :confused:

Heat treating and tempering are skills I really need to learn - now I just need someone to teach me. I've read up about them but I need someone to actually show me and guide me through the process.

sam

Aeneas, take a "Fundamentals" class with Mark Aspery, he explains things in a very "easy to understand" manner, and you will walk away feeling much more confident in all your skills.

That would be a great idea.

Problem is that Mark lives in California - a long way away from Hamilton Ontario Canada. :(

I need to find someone more local. But thanks for the suggestion anyway Mike :)

Sam

I'm meaning to try this on my next set - someone on another thread mentioned using mild steel for drifts. I would never have even thought of that because I've always thought mild steel to be too "soft" for something like drifting.

Mild steel is fine for occasional use. Case harden it and keep it cool.

There are lots of Ontario smiths who teach courses. Lloyd Johnston http://www.ontarioblacksmiths.ca/sales/Johnston-Courses.pdf Darrell Markewitz the Wareham Forge, Artisan Blacksmith Darrell Markewitz of Ontario Canada, Hand forged custom designs for garden, architecture, knives plus courses and DVD David Robertson Ontario Artist Blacksmith David Robertson Rob Martin Thak the Blacksmith &Armourer- Ontario, Canada Sandra Dunn TWO SMITHS These are all accomplished full time blacksmiths.
Ask around at an OABA meeting, someone may demo heat treating for you. Stop by my shop I will show you how to how to harden a drift, chisel or punch. 180 Princess St. call first to make sure I have a fire going 905 544 5691.

• 2 weeks later...