I Forge Iron

introduction

shadowlead

Hello, I have been interested in black smithing as long as I can remember, I have been making Chainmaille for about 4 years now but I have yet to pick up a hammer, something I hope to remedy soon. any website suggestions for where a complete Newbie like myself can get acquainted with the jargon and most basics of basics?

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Here is a good site to get to know; Blacksmiths Association of Missouri and they welcome newbies! Join them, you can get some hands on time with some excellent smiths. Glad you joined up, feel free to chime in whenever you feel the need. Questions are answered quickly, even if we have to make up the answer;) and we do enjoy pictures. Once again, welcome.

IForgeIron.com > Metalworking Lessons > Lessons in Blacksmithing will get you started.

From there use the IForgeIron > Archive located at the bottom right of the forum page. We suggest that you pack a lunch and a cold drink before you go to the archive. Click on a section, then click on a sub-section and notice 2,3,4 at the top which represent additional pages. By default you are on page one. Click on a topic and all the information from the first post to the last comment is in one place.

If you have questions, just ask.

The other question that we likely will not be able to answer would be, "How do I make a museum quality sword, as my first blacksmithing project?" Unless laughter is considered an answer. :D

Welcome, Shadowlead! We are ready to answer all questions except one: where do I find a good used anvil for a reasonable price?

Give a man tools and he will blacksmith until he reaches the limit of his ability; teach him to make tools and he will smith for a lifetime.

Actually, I read a posting by a real bladesmith on the Don Fogg site where he explained how he and his young son forged a magical blade. It was the most wonderful father-son experience I have ever read. I wish I could remember the man's name so I could search for it.

Found it: http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=10396&hl=magical sword&st=0

Edited by Quenchcrack