I Forge Iron

Punching holes

I was attempting to punch a hole the other day with little success! What I would like to accomplish is a 3/8" square hole in a piece of 1/2" square stock. What I was doing was prick punching the stock before I put it in the fire to be sure to be able to know where the hole was to be located when removed from the fire. Upon removing the stock from the fire I would use a prick punch to punch all the way through the stock. I would put it back into the fire and reheat - upon removing the second time I would drive my 3/8" square drift though the hole. The problem is that there is not equal amounts of stock on either sides of the hole. What I really would like to accomplish is a 1/2" square hole in a piece of 1/2" square stock. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?
Thank You,
Trimmer

One thing that was suggested in and ABANA hammer's blow was to use a diamond shape prick punch rather than a round. The idea is that it shows up better when you pull it from the fire. Don't know exactly why it works but it seems to work for me. I think round prick punches work better for twist drill bit starting though.

Edited by Charlotte
typo

Time on the tool... you may have a 'draft' in your hammer swing. Maybe try turning the piece over while heating, solid fuel or gas forge. If one side is hotter, the hot side will give faster. Go out on a weekend morning with the idea of making 30 punched holes. I bet they will look good after #25..

a prick punch is for layout ...where to put your center punch mark. a center punch mark is real hard to see in hot steel I can't imagine trying to find a prick punch mark
I think I'ed do as Charlotte suggested and use a large diamond center punch after you locate where you want your hole; also turn your stock in the fire so it gets and even heat