I Forge Iron

I dislike drilling holes.

A lot.
I just almost finished a pair of loop-welded spatula handles. Everything was perfect, and then I went to drill the holes. On a half inch thick piece of steel a millimeter offcenter makes a huge difference. Gonna cut the ends off and forge weld on a slightly thicker piece of stock to try again. I don;t want to throw away the handles if I don't absolutely have to. I really should get a drill press to drill at 90 degrees to the work.

thanks for letting me mini-rant,
a somewhat put out Archie

lay out precisely with scribe (knife handle) use spring assisted marking punch, go to hammered center punch, drill hole on drill press.....OFF CENTER
where did I go wrong? arrrgha:mad:

Edited by markb
sp

mark Is the drill press table square to the bit? either that or there could have been something under it or your pushing to hard too quick with a small bit and its walking away from you,

I screwed up one set of tongs I made (actually about the first 4 sets)
eventually I heated them up with the torch and drifted the hole to center and used a larger rivet,

it might work or maybe not at least you can try

Put the piece in a drill press vise. Take a transfer punch that just fits between the jaws of the vise and punch the center. Do not remove the piece from the vise. Drill the hole using a drill press. A copper or aluminum shim on each side of the piece will help the vise grip an irregular [ forged ] piece.
Transfer punches are really handy in a blacksmith shop. Even the cheap sets are well worth the money. When they get too dull they make great stock for forging a graduated set of drifts.
Buy yourself a drill press. They are the most essential tool in any kind of metal shop IMHO

I wasn't punching them because the area I was working was extremely small. Going to forge weld on a slightly larger piece of stock, and then I'm going to punch them. You are definitely right about punching being easier. It might seem like a drill is, but you are taking away all of the metal in the hole as opposed to relocating it, which can make it look bad much easier.

Better? Probably. Easier? Not. Lets see 1" sq bar. Layout and center punch takes the same time. Light the forge,forge already lit. Heat bar, punch/drift hole.streighten/adjust hole. OR install drill bit,turn on,drill press,drill 6 perfectly streight holes in the same time True its not traditional, True there is material loss, However for me its easier and quicker.
Ken