I Forge Iron

Water Tuyer?

Hill,

It looks like a convection circuit for cooling. The heat from the fire will cause the water to heat up and rise in the tube. Cooler water will be drawn into the tuyer from the barrel as the hot water rises. It does not seem to be a closed system so the smith would have to watch the water level in the barrel so it doesn't run dry.

One of the fellows I demonstrated with had an english side draft portable forge with a tuyre that worked exactly that way. Water for the coal and water for the tuyre was needed. Forge worked great by the way!
PS
I spoke with out looking at the picture. The one I say had a tank with a tube and baffle kind affair that hung on the side of the forge.

Edited by Charlotte
ps

The whole idea was to help cool the metal around your tuyer. This helped slow down how fast it "burnt out". But those comments were also for people who had those forges running all day every day during the week. 12 to 16 hours per day for 6 days straight.

So they tried to figure out other ways to help slow down the "burning out" of the metal at the bottom of their forge.

In the same sections of that book you can also see examples where they took a CANNONBALL, drilled a couple holes through it, and used that in the bottom of their forge. The ... MASS ... of it helped extend the time they could run the forge before having to tear it apart and fix/replace that whole tuyer area.

Mikey

It's a thermal syphon, the heated water rises and cools as it sinks down the barrel. Mine is exactly like that with a welded up 3/8'' outer case and 11/4'' copper tubing. The tank is an old propane bottle which holds about 12gals and boils off about 1/2 gal per hour.
I've used it heavily for about two years (often working 1''+sq) and there is no sign of burning.

It's a thermal syphon, the heated water rises and cools as it sinks down the barrel. Mine is exactly like that with a welded up 3/8'' outer case and 11/4'' copper tubing. The tank is an old propane bottle which holds about 12gals and boils off about 1/2 gal per hour.
I've used it heavily for about two years (often working 1''+sq) and there is no sign of burning.

Sam,

Do you have any pictures of yours?

the advantage water tueirons had for heavy work was the amount of fuel burnt made big clinkers ,and the cold tueiron froze the clinker where it touched the tue and the air blast kept a hole open ,so we could work for longer and the clinkers came out in one peice with little time lost wating for clinkers to set .

When I was burning coal, I switched over to the side blast forge (not draft, I used a side draft chimney.) I eventually made a water cooled tuyre (the pipe leading into the fire, not that clinker breaker in a bottom blast forge.) I was burning up pipe until I made a water cooled tuyere. I simply made a tank for holding the water and made the tuyre out of 1" and 1 1/4" pipe, welding the end and making a jacket for the water to flow from the tank into the larger pipe. It was not as complicated as the link. In mine the larger pipe was welded to the tank and at the fire end of the 1" pipe. The 1" pipe went through the tank, welded on the back side where the blower was attached and also at the fire end with the other pipe to form the inside of the jacketed tuyre. I preferred this over the fire pot. I always knew where the clinker was and there was less wasted fuel as it could not fall through a grate or clinker breaker. The tuyre was long enough for the tank to sit behind the chimney and come out into the fire an inch or so. I just made certain it the fire end was slightly below level for the water to flow.
But after switching to propane, I did not worry about these matters for daily use.