I Forge Iron

My O'Dwyer Anvil needs a base

Nice looking anvil. Is the notch on the right side, just before the cutting table stock? What is that Hook that looks like it is bolted to the bottom of the horn?
I would get a larger round of hardwood for a base if possible. There are lots of other ways, but I like wood.

I have use wood but it sat in one place for so long it started to get termites so I welded one up out of some large box tubing, 12"x18", with a 3/8" base & top plate. Before I welded the top plate on I filled it full of sand. It is solid and quiet like wood. The ring is almost dead but is a booger to move. I also welded 3/8" square rod to the top plate to clinch over to hold the anvil in place.

My anvil stands are made from 1-1/2" plate with three legs-2 at the horn end, 1 at the tail-placed at 22-1/2 degrees. The front legs are splayed out a bit. I used 3" box tube for the legs. I then bolt the anvil down with bars across the feet with silicone under-let the silicone dry before bolting down. Really deadens the noise factor. Adds a lot to the overall mass and stability. I saw Hofi use this sort of stand and liked it. I like to get close to the anvil-already had 1 back surgery-don't want another- and it is a lot more comfortable for me to work that way.
Mark Emig