I Forge Iron

Finally goin' back to school

After 10 years im finally goin' back. They actually have a degree program at the community college here in art metals. Classes include: Metalsmithing, power hammer, metallurgy, tool making, etc. I knew they had a blacksmithing course, but had no idea it covered so much. I've been workin at it on my own for a little over a year now, and experience is a good teacher, but its all trial and error (error more often than not). Such a slow process. If any in here have taken similar classes what can I expect.

Congratulations Steeltoe762
It is very important that we all take the time to sharpen our axe of knowledge from time to time so we can be more productive when we work.
A little bit of smarts is a lot better than a whole lot of dumb! Just kidding ;). I think! :confused:
Ted Throckmorton

There are community colleges in many different communities, and IForgeIron is visited by over 50 world wide countries each month. Where is here?

Go to the forum and click user CP and add your location please.

Tell the instructors there about IForgeIron. I am sure both the instructors and the students would appreciate a interactive and live textbook where they could continue their education after class. :)

Good for you! Are you going to Austin Community College? If so I'm sure you will meet William Bastas, the blacksmith instructor there. Top notch. Next step you need to do is join Balcones Forge, it is the ABANA affiliate near you. Great bunch of folks and all are willing to help out a newbie. If you ever get up this way, just out of Longview, give me a holler, my shop is always open.

I think he is talking about ACC.

If so, see you there! I will be enrolling Fall 2010 when I seperate from the military. I share the same excitment you do. It will be great to learn the right way to do things the first time and hopefully break bad habits even though and error may have its merits. Looking forward to all day shop time as opposed to the hour here and there I get now.

Take care,

-Grant