I Forge Iron

Finally finished my forge

Yance

Been working on this off and on in my "spare" time for 3 or 4 weeks. Finally put in most of an 8 hour day Wednesday to finish 'er up.

The tuyere and clinker breaker came from my Grandfather's forge, then passed to a Great Uncle, next to my Dad (who never did anything with it but a window display), finally to me, along with his anvil and several sets of tongs and other tools.

All the material was found at a couple of different scrap yards where I like to shop. Fire pot looks to be the size for a full size pickup or the like, around 10" diameter X 2 1/2" or so deep. bed is 24"X36" and stands 34" high. I'm 6"4"
and that height looks like it's just about right. Besides, it's a lot easier to make it shorter than it is higher.

Pivoting gates on the sides will allow long pieces to be heated in the middle without having to pile a huge mound of coal in the small round forge I've been using.

The blower is a "spare" Champion 400 a friend had sitting in his storage building. We have yet to come to "terms", he just said "take it and see if it works for you". Well, it works for me, well enough that I burned more metal today than I ever did with the small one.:o

Now to get back to work on my bell.

Anyone ever notice that this stuff is addictive?:rolleyes:

Looking forward to my next day off so I can put in some time making "things" rather than tools and equipment.

15393.attach

15394.attach

15395.attach

15396.attach

15397.attach

15398.attach

Looks real good. Nice looking Champion 400.
I'd like to see a picture of the way you have it hooked to the tuyere.
Thanks
Billy

Billy;

I had a piece of 3" vent pipe that had been tapered to go in the tuyere. The flex pipe is slightly smaller than the I.D. of that piece, so it's a good friction fit. In true Redneck fashion I sealed the two together with a couple of wraps of duct tape both th hole the two pieces together and seal the joint.

15480.attach

Thanks to all for compliments and comments. I really enjoyed building this, especially since this was my first "major" metalwork project.

Not having anything but a "mental blueprint" and "as you go engineering" I'm well pleased with how it turned out.

3 more days and I get to fire it up again.:D Hope the weather cooperates.