I Forge Iron

Solid fuel forge design question

lordcaradoc

Greetings,

I am curious if there are any fundamental differences in design for forges using Coal or Charcoal.

I know that you usually use one fuel or the other and have even used charcoal to start a coal forge before. I also know that both will allow heat enough for forge welding.

so, if I build a forge and usually burn charcoal, will it likely work for coal/coke when it is available?

Regards,
Tim

For charcoal forge you generally want to control the size of the firepot more as all charcoal in the forge will burn and you need a deeper fire to work with charcoal. For my coal forge I merely add a couple of firebrick to schootch in the sides and make it deeper---and use less air but as I use a handpowered blower that's easy to control.

For a bi-fueled forge I would design for coal use and then engineer additions for charcoal use.

Weyger's had a great picture of a traditional charcoal forge used in Indonesia in "The Modern Blacksmith". it had high clay side walls and the work was done in the trough between them.

Thanks guys. New question.

Now that I am good on proceeding with the brake drum style, I have been advised to build it into a table so there is more room to work with fuel than just the firepot.

With no welding skills yet, what would the recommendations be for a table around the firepot?

Best regards,
Tim

I can, but isn't it a good idea to have sides to the table too?

I actually have a bit of the table legs part taken care of. It is the bolt together base to a table saw I no longer own. It it 23" tall with sloped out legs and a top that is 18"x22". I figured this would give me a good base and all I need is to add a table. I can build the top out of plywood and give it edges and put a layer of amended fire clay on the wood, but that seems too temporary. If I can get the sheet metal for the table, I can set it at whatever height I want, but I can't weld the corners for the sides and I am not sure even about the hole for the firepot. Now for sides, I could always bolt on wide angle iron, that should do, but cutting a hole would be a pain with the limited tools I have now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tim