I Forge Iron

Flux Removal

Okay, I will make several things over the course of the day that require welding. However, the indoor items after a period of time begin to "sweat borax." Is there anyway that this can be avoided?:o

I like to pickle pieces in a vat of vinegar for a day or so. That prevents any residue from creeping out to the surface at a later time.

white vinegar is 5% acid.

One method I use is to soak the piece in muriatic acid. you need to have a piece that is small enough to fit in a 5 gallon bucket (or something with a lid). soak the material until all of the scale is eaten off. the time for this will vary based on the freshness of the acid and the temperature outside. the hotter the temperature, the faster the acid works.
take the piece out and place it in baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. i try to leave the work in the neutralizer the same amount of time it was in the acid. then rinse off the baking soda. the work is now exposed to the elements and will accept gun blue very nicely. protect it with your favorite finish.
A WORD OF CAUTION- do not breathe acid fumes. either wear a respirator or work under some ventilation hood. the fumes travel on water vapor in the air, so wait until it is nice and dry out before opening the lid.
geez, all of this seems like a huge process.
dan