I Forge Iron

Paint Effects. Fogging/Hazing Flat Black (on purpose)

Avadon

I spray painted some dresser drawers a few years ago and I really like how they turned out. I can't be certain but if I remember I believe it was a high humidity or rainy day. But I shot the dressers with flat black spray paint and when I saw them :o they had a white hazy, sort of ghostly look to them. Like all cool art at first I was startled because it was not my intention. Now I want to recreate that ghostly hazy flat black look. Any thoughts as to what caused this? Do I shoot the spray paint a certain way or at a certain temp? Any ideas appreciated.

I agree that it was likely moisture and/or oil in the supply air to the paint gun but the only way I can imagine to reproduce it would be to try an in-line oiler in front of the gun with a little water and oil in it. Make the emulsion first and then introduce it into the paint stream - it has to be done as a mist as I think droplets would be too large.

Flat paint (especially black) is very dependent upon even depth spray coats for an even sheen... I suspect that you sprayed some areas more thickly, which would drown the flatters in the paint and give a higher than designed sheen. This will result in a sort of mottled sheen look which can be very visible on black surfaces. It is a common fault when spraying from cans or over surfaces which are not very evenly sheened before spraying. If this is the look you seek knowing the mechanics should allow you to recreate it at will (with maybe a little practice). An exaggerated form of this effect can be created with a gloss or polished surface by misting clear, or slightly tinted finish, over it unevenly. Using this latter technique offers you a little more control and a wider range of variations.

Edited by bigfootnampa
remove typo

Thanks wooldridge and bigfootnampa.. I ended up talking with my mom who was there at the time and she suggests what you were talking about bigfoot. She's under the impression that I was using gloss and when that ran out I used some flat and when that can ran out I decided not to waste anymore spray paint on it. I don't remember all that, so i'm glad she did. That would explain the depth and ghosting/fogging look of cloudyness ontop of the black. I'm gonna start there and see if I can't recreate it. The end effect looks sorta like a dim cold light shining on a semi-gloss black surface. (almost a camo looking greyscale if you can picture that in your mind.)

Thanks for the help.