I Forge Iron

First Forge

RayG

I recently discovered this site, thanks to ron aka "son_of_bluegrass", this is my first post here.

Last week, I was wandering around the local scrap metal dealers yard and spotted an old davy water pressure tank, that looked ideal to make that forge I have been planning for as long as I can remember..

I read somewhere that you can make a forge from just a hole in the ground and an air blower, but I wanted a forge for making woodworking tools and heat treating hc steels.

So I don't need anything too big and cumbersome... After trawling internet web sites looking for forge designs, (wish I had discovered this site earlier!) I finally decided on a pretty traditional straight forward design with up-draft blower and refractory lining ( I can appreciate the simplicity of some of the side draft designs).. but with the bits and pieces I had this was easier...

Construction is pretty straight forward, you want a reasonable depth in the firebox so that the charcoal above the work zone acts as an insulator of sorts, and the bottom of the firebox can easily get hot enough to burn out steel, so I lined it with refractory stuff, (details further down). The basic shape of the pan comes from the cut-off top of the water tank and a bit of scrap 6" heavy wall steel pipe that forms the walls of the firebox, I only had 1/8 sheet to make the bottom of the firebox, but I figure since I am lining it it with refractory it should be ok.

After a few days cutting and welding, I have something that looks like I think I want it to look.

This is before the refractory lining.. I hope it shows the general layout.

There is an adjustable work stand on one side, and the air inlet on the other side

The blower is a $99 Aldi special, and air flow is adjusted with a gate valve, I melted some plumbing fittings test firing with this air setup, so I am pretty confident that I'll get the volume I need, even though the pipe diameters are a bit on the small side.

You can see the refractory in this picture, I used Pyrocrete 165 AR AFT, which is supposed to be good for 1650C It should provide insulation as well, so might burn less fuel and allow higher maximum temperatures.

Well that's it, hope it helps someone else...

I should add a disclaimer here, this is my first forge and I don't pretend to know anything about blacksmithing, this is the start of a learning experience. If anyone spots some silly mistake that I've made, don't hold back, let me know!

Regards
Ray

15125.attach

15126.attach

Edited by RayG

Welcome aboard Ray, glad to have ya.

I'd get rid of the tall sides, they're just going to be in the way. The key word you used is "reasonable depth fire pot" that's typically 4-5" for charcoal.

That is going to be way more air than you need too. A blow drier (hair) is usually enough for a charcoal forge that size. You could set up a decent sized backyard cupola iron melter with your blower for instance.

A stand to get the working height of your forge about the same height as your anvil is a good thing too.

Frosty

Good first try and it will evolve as you use it more. I agree with Frosty, too much air, how about going to a motor wrecker and getting a heater fan, that should do the trick. A stand will make it all easier on your back and knees. As for the sides, you could either cut them down now or later but I bet you will eventually :)

Enjoy it.

Thanks for the replies and comments, I think I can cut the top off and extend the legs to bring the height up a bit, so that's what I'll do. The vacuum cleaner blower will be replaced with something a more suitable in size as Frosty suggests.

I'll post another picture when the mods are done.

Regards
Ray

Thanks to Frosty and rmcpb's advice I cut the top off and extended the legs, so it's now at a better working height. Fired it up to see how the blower would go, and I can throttle it right down and get good control with the gate valve, but I will get a smaller blower, the vac is way too noisy. The work zone seems to be ok, but I won't know until I've used it for a while. Certainly heats up nicely :D

forge25.jpg

forge26.jpg

Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.

Regards
Ray