I Forge Iron

My "new" Peter Wright

First thanks to all who offered suggestions and advice in my earlier thread about a GE farrier's anvil I was looking at- most said to keep looking and indeed that went well since a few days ago I found another nice, old Peter Wright for sale locally.

The seller thought it was marked '0 2 87', which made sense since he weighed it on a bathroom scale at around 150lbs, and for $150CAD that seemed a great price, but when I stripped off the paint, I found it actually reads '0 2 27' (83lbs) so maybe not quite so awesome- but oh well.

it seems to be in good shape to my rather un-expert eye, but I would like opinions. I've been managing fine for the last 18 months with a 55lb English-made ASO, so even this relatively light real anvil should be a step up- and since I don't do anything terribly heavy as far as work goes, I expect this lighter anvil won't be a real hindrance (I hope LOL).

The workface is a bit dinged-up in the photo, but I've just quite successfully ground and polished it so only maybe half a dozen small deeper dings remain- and they're probably half a millimeter wide and deep each, plus they're well spread out so as not to pose any serious threat to a workpiece. The rebound is there, but having no experience with any other anvils, I couldn't say if it's good or moderate- by comparison the horn has virtually none. The ring is tough too- the hammer both the seller and I tried ring a good deal, so surely adds to the sound, plus I understand the wrought iron body does deaden the sound somewhat; this fellow is also welded to a 1/4" steel plate, which is nailed to a heavy pine block- but it's not in perfect contact so there are spaces, all of which I suspect significantly dampen the vibration.

One feature you can clearly see in the photos is the weld between the upper and lower body sections- it's rather obvious where the ends were 'wrapped' up and down and it's somewhat messy- would this be considered normal? I don't see any indication of them cracking anywhere, nor can I pry any of the edges out or anything.

Anyway, here she is:

15092.attach

15093.attach

15094.attach

15095.attach

15096.attach

Edited by FERRARIVS

According to the CWT numbers it weighs 83 lbs. Being welded to the base is making it heavier. Still a good price if the one pic is not of a crack going nearly all the way across the waist. Even then, not bad.

Frosty

Yup, 83lbs, so I got it for about $1.80/lb, and definitely that's not a crack- it's just the edges of the weld being 'spread' up and down. Notice on the front shot it's sort of 'Z' shaped so had a projection on each half that corresponded to a gap on the other (proper joinery actually). it's just that the mating wasn't perfect and the smith(s) who made it simply hammered the extra up over the joint welding it to the outside of the attached bit.

Edited by FERRARIVS

Well maybe partly, but it's just as much as Frosty said- the 1/4" steel plate and the huge pine block add a good deal to the apparent weight. I wouldn't have thought as much as 67lbs, but then bathroom scales aren't usually high-accuracy devices ;)

I have anvils from 20 to 650 lbs and always wanted a bigger anvil. Now I have an appreciation for the 75-100 lb anvils. they can be moved easier and get a lot of work done just as well. You have a nice anvil and did a good job dressing it from the picture. Last year I paid $75 for a 31 lb swedish Paragon. Being a quality anvil in decent shape it was worth every $. Have fun pounding!

I just got a similar PW, can't make out the last number but it weighs 83 on a bathroom scale. Yours looks in better shape than mine- best of luck with it.
BTW- my PW came to me free- as soon as I BOUGHT a 130lbs Fisher- suddenly everyone seems to have anvils for me lol.
The picture is of the PW sitting on a unmarked 290 pounder on loan from a friends Mom- soon to return to it's flower pot holder duties.
ry%3D400