I Forge Iron

good day

CF-sapper

hey guys just a little bout myself
Im 20 names robbie and im deploying soon and have been looking for a while for a knife that suits what i need so finally one fo my good friends suggested i attempt to make my own so i figured ild look it to what it would take to make my own knife. I plan on lurking here and there and asking dumb questions when i cant find what im looking for threw the search.

Welcome aboard Robbie, glad to have you.

First of all, thank you for your service. You and everyone who serves are the life's blood of a free society.

Knife making involves a number of specialized skills even if they're not forged blades. You have however come to a good place to get started. you'll find good reading in the "Lessons and Getting started" sections of the site. you'll find structured projects and lessons to help build the necessary skills sets you'll need. The "Blueprints" section contains numerous projects, tools, equipment and more contributed by blacksmiths who use them.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. If local folk know you're there they can invite you to gatherings and offer hands on help, maybe evenlend you use of their tools, equipment and expertise. We have to know your general location though.

Frosty

Thx frost I should mention that even thought i am delpoying soon im in no rush to get this done i would rather learn it properly and have quality work the rush threw and have something that might break at the wrong time.

and please forgive my spelling at times it gets quite bad

Im not actully looking for a combat knife Im looking for a good genaral perpouse knife that i can use for everything. im a combat engineer so while im there up front with the infanty i have a few diffrent needs i need something really study plain but comfortable in the hand as i will be using it everyday for many diffrent tasks and will be used more as a tool then a knife. i have the picture of what i need in my head but have yet to find one that fits that image

Thx frost I should mention that even thought i am delpoying soon im in no rush to get this done i would rather learn it properly and have quality work the rush threw and have something that might break at the wrong time.

and please forgive my spelling at times it gets quite bad

Don't sweat the spelling, if I don't know what you mean I'll ask.

Good attitude regarding the knife, better to take your time than make something you can't rely on.

So, can you make a sketch of what you have in mind and post it?

What jobs besides cutting would you like it to perform. Size/weight? Do you have a specific material in mind?

Lay it on us Robbie, we can take it. ;)

Frosty

ill see what i can do with the pic no scanner atm.

size i was thinking around blade at lest 6inch but no more then 8 handle has to feel and be as solid as possible i have use my other knifes for a hammer a couple of times. would be nice if the blade could take some use as i prybar nothing more the a few lbs of pressur has to be durable more then anything keep and edge well as it need to be sharp for cutting certina type of explosives as for weight nice and solid because it will be used as a hammer at some point im sure. i also tend to use my knife as a screw driver. but ill have a mutitool for that. as for material im lost with all the numbers and type of steel but im reading up and i think im begining to understand what they mean but dont have a clear idea of what they can be use for but a robust steel that can take a beating

Edited by CF-sapper

At this point I'm liking 5160. (leaf spring steel) It's tough stuff and takes a differential temper well, meaning the edge can be hard for edge holding and the rest of the blade can be tempered like a stiff spring so it isn't likely to break if used as a light to med duty pry bar.

It'd be pretty straight forward to put a steel butt cap (pommel?) on it so you could use it for a hammer, no problem. Heck, you could put a hammer face and claw on it if you wanted.

The screw driver is a bit more problematical unless you don't think you'll need a pointed tip, then you could have the screw driver and a pry bar tip without a point to damage.

I think I'd rather just build a little pocket into the sheath for a screwdriver myself. It also never hurts to have a second small knife with you for those things a large knife isn't so good for.

You could make a hollow tube handle with a threaded butt cap to hold a couple handy things but I'm not a fan of those, for one thing they tend to rattle. They don't feel very comfortable in my hand either but not terrible so I could ignore the feel if necessary.

Frosty

Okay, you gotta slow down a little I only understood part of that.

No hollow handle and you like the butt cap. As in the hammer idea? I kind of like that one too. ;)

Sharp at both ENDS? Do you mean on both Edges? Double edged knives aren't usually utility blades they're more like fighters.

What do you like for handle material?

Frosty

sorry bout that frosty i do mean both edges but only a little ways back so it could be use and a fighter in worse case very much like the ka-bar but will stay shaper longer and with the small hammer on the end. as for handle something clean and funtional but if it looked good it would be a plus.

.. i do mean both edges but only a little ways back so it could be use and a fighter in worse case very much like the Ka-Bar but will stay sharper longer and with the small hammer on the end. as for handle something clean and functional but if it looked good it would be a plus.

Sort of sounds like your desired knife has some of the characteristics of a WWII type survival knife: :D
- Cap at end of handle is fairly heavy has flat surfaces for use as a hammer.
- about 5 or so inch blade designed for prying.
- The back of the blade flexible and heavy enough for hacking.
- Tip of blade for about an inch is sharpened on two edges ("a little ways back"), for fighting.
- Handle is not hollow, with tang going completely through the cap.
- Guard has two holes for cord to hold it to your wrist, in case you are off ground and drop it.
- Hollow ground to reduce weight

15069.attach

Edited by UnicornForge

If I remember correctly, they finished the blade with a rust resistant black mat finish to not reflect light. I would also be reluctant to suggest an actual claw hammer at the end as, in my humble opinion, it might be a hazard in a fight or in use as it might slash your wrist (I taught a bit of martial arts back in the stone age). The flat surfaces, of the butt of the knife that I have had for about 40 years, work nicely as a hammer. My knife is a bit smaller than full size as it was designed for kids, back when kids could purchase combat style knifes just by walking into a store. :D

Nice design for a combat knife .... I would still consider *also* taking a tactical tomahawk, as they are impressive good solid tools as well as formidable weapons.

Edited by UnicornForge