I Forge Iron

Cultivator shovel

craig

The picture is pretty self explanitory as far as where it came from...
I used the angle grinder to remove the piece from the "stock" after that it was only hammer and file...blade is 5 inches long with 3.5 inch tang.
It is normalized, just needs sanding, quench, temper, and handle.
I'm planning on using some type of scrap wood for the handle to go with the recycling theme ;)
PS...this one was the first thing to come out of my new outdoor ground forge :)
P1010347.JPG

There's all kinds of stuff to be found...although I'm certain I won't be scrounging any osage orange fence posts around here ;)....
I oil quenched this morning, but it didn't harden as well as I liked, so I water quenched but forgot to normalize again after the oil and it warped big time...so I'm going to have to try again, hopefully it survives...I've water quenched samples of this steel but I had the test pieces nicely sanded smooth, not "as forged" like this one...so we'll see what happens.

Nice knife. I just cut the two blades off of one of those and I plan to try my hand at making one of them into a tomahawk. that is if I can concentrate enough to weld the stuff. Do you have any ideas for what to do with the center piece? I'd rather not just throw it away if I have the option to use it.

Nice knife. I just cut the two blades off of one of those and I plan to try my hand at making one of them into a tomahawk. that is if I can concentrate enough to weld the stuff. Do you have any ideas for what to do with the center piece? I'd rather not just throw it away if I have the option to use it.

I was thinking of zipping along the two bolt holes and maybe making them into a couple small chisels or something...
Or maybe straightneing the whole thing out, cut out the holes leaving two "tangs"...forge them to points and drive it into a block of wood for a hot-cut (which I was planning on making someday anyways)

But first I want to see if I can get this blade to work out...then if I still have enough fuel left I might mess around with the center part.

The tomahawk is a cool idea for the sides.

Please let us know what method does end up working for you on these, I have some I would like to try. We have quite a few bois d' arc posts around here that are frequently replaced with steel(these are very old, I am 44 and they were old when I was a kid) and I have some new limbs drying right now. It will be fall before I can probably get any pieces cut but I was going to for myself and I could cut a few more while I am at it. I also can get some of our old aged red cedar posts too. The burled areas are nice. Let me know in advance so I can round up more. I usually start in mid September.