I Forge Iron

T-backed blades?

Ed Steinkirchner

I have made in the past a couple large machettes, which I based on an old 'Celtic' boar hunting sword (it too had a tip the thickness of the spine). I'll try and dig up the info on the original.

I did not have any material to make a swage out of, so I started with narrow stock the thickness I wanted the spine, and simply hung the back of the blade off the back/edge of the anvil and worked the rest out thinner. Hope that makes sense. Careful hammer blows were a must, and time had to be taken to correct any warpage as I went. But it did work and in essence was the same as forging any other blade.

Heat treating T-backed blades can be a bit of an adventure too, due to the different thicknesses and the fact that (using this method) the thinner part has much more stresses in it due to working. Normalising to destress is imperative. The good part is that a differential heat treat is almost automatic with T-backs.

Good luck