I Forge Iron

Just checking in.

It's been a long time since I posted, but I check the forum almost daily to see what ya'll are doing. For the last 6 months I just couldn't seem to get rested. I had a heart attack about 4 years ago but have had no other problems since then. My Doc put me through a stress test and it seems there was more damage to my heart than they first thought.
I tried a 3 day work week but my Boss just tried to cram more work load on me. So at the age of 63, I am retired. For the last two weeks I have been mostly resting and I feel much better. It will be a bit tight money wise but me and Momma will get by.
I went to the local steel/scrap yard yesterday to get a stalk of 1/2" round stock to make some tie down clips for my son in law's hay trailer. I found a piece of 4060 steel that is 5"x5" square and about 40" long. I know the source of the cutoff and it is definitely 4060. Since I have no way to heat treat something this big, do ya'll think it would be a good deal at $60 to use as is for an anvil? I already have two anvils at about 140 lbs each, but this thing weighs about 300 lbs. :D

Great find!!! I have no way of telling you how to heat treat it, but I hope it will work out for you. I'd love to have something like that or a rr track anvil to replace my HF anvil with dinged up soft face.
As for retirement, enjoy it! I'm a long way out of retirement yet, but Lord willing, I'll be there one day.

Where is Grover, NC anyway? I'm over near Louisburg, northeast of Raleigh.

Mike,

It could be useful as an anvil surface if you need that sort of shape. However, if it has never been hardened, you could probably better use it as trade bait. For instance, I was seriously happy to get a similar size chunk of S-7 a few years ago because I needed the steel to make dies for my hammer, and paid a lot more than $60 to buy it and have it shipped to me. So maybe you could parley that excellent find into a good tool you need for your shop by advertising that you want to trade up. I know if I was just a bit closer, I'd be interested, so there must be someone down there that would be. Good luck.

Ed

it would make a nice anvil for a tire hammer or air hammer.
Also knife guys use a square block to forge knives with

should not need to be heat treated as long on you hit the hot iron not the cold anvil

You might consider cutting it in half. Trading or selling the other half for something. Then see if you can find someone to heat treat the remainder for yourself... A nice wide surface like that would be a nice addition to the shop...

Well I went to the scrap yard early to get the 5"x5" cut off this morning and I did a dumb thing I guess. There was a young man there who was asking about it also. He is in the process of building a power hammer and wanted the drop. He had pics on his cell phone of his progress. After talking a bit, I let him buy the drop. I made another friend and the yard boss promised to take care of me on the next one that came in. I thought his need was greater than mine.

PS: He paid almost twice what it would have cost me.