I Forge Iron

Steel for spring fuller

Depends on what you want. I have some made from 3/4" round and square, and one which I made from 2" round. As to the carbon content, mild steel will work fine and has plenty of "spring". Higher carbon steel, if properly heat treated, may last longer, but you can reforge it anyway.

Most of my spring swages are 1/4" x 1" flat bar beause it is a size I usually have in my steel rack. I have a couple of swages made by Allen Kress and an Off Center swage that both use 3/16"x1" that seem to work fine. If the swage is particularly heavy I go with a heavier bar, I am using one now that I used 1/4" x1 1/2". I have only ever used mild steel for the springs. The only time I have ever had a problem with the spring is when I was using a 1" swage to swage 250 bolts made of 4340, my hammer was small for the job and I had to hit each bar a lot of times. I broke the spring beside the weld a number of times, but that was an extreme situation.
I just noticed you are looking for a spring for a fuller rather than a swage, often for smaller diameter fullers you can just bend the bar in a loop and use the stock you are using as the fuller as the spring. Larger sizes you can weld on flat bar as for a swage.

Edited by JNewman

LOL, Elendil is the master smith of the elves of rivendell who forged the sword of Men. This would be the sword Aragorn uses to slay the wights in the third book the return of the king. Elendil is also referenced to in The Similarion as a person of legend. and i am from NW suburbs of chicago ill