I Forge Iron

Bird Feeder Hangers...

When I returned from the ship this time, My Fiance excitedly told me that she had just been to wild birds unlimited, and that she had bought some nice 'wrought iron' hangers for our bird feeders....My first question- do you still have the receipt? Fortunately, she did!

We went to the forge this week to make some REAL brackets to hang them from! We ended up making two of them-

Here's a closeup of one-

And, here is one installed and working-

I was going for a natural, vine look. I think that they turned out pretty well. We certainly had fun making them- she actively helped me, and even made an 'S' hook on her own (with a little guidance). She's interested in smithing now, too- Ever since I 'dragged' her to a local chapter meeting.

-andrew

14751.attach

14752.attach

14753.attach

Nice hangers, they photograph MUCH better hanging than on the ground.

It's funny how the lady's perception of "wrought" changes when they know the difference. Deb can spot hand work from a respectable distance now, especially scrolls. I'm really looking forward to seeing how she takes to the power hammer. ;)

Well done.

Frosty

Andgott-- I love to hear that story, we did the same thing, and the thing is, my wife has allocated space for a few more, and that means she's happy, and I get to feed the addiction!! Here is one I did before last spring, and the Mrs. requested I leave it raw to naturally rust patina, and in the last photo is the simplest hanger, just temp till I get time to hammer out something more creative, as we had coffee this morning the little hummers made several stops to feed, and the other birds were having a ball as well, ain't life grand!!

My girlfriend is quite happy to let me do the forging alone but her dad was a blacksmith too and so she knows and loves the look of hand wrought iron, even when I think it's ugly as sin when I make it. Always an idea for something for me to make. I just made some bird feeder hangers for the apartment balcony too.

Nice hangers by the way.

• 4 weeks later...

just did one for a pal, had 2 hours to get it done, He liked it fine, first time I ever did an "s" scroll support, learned what not to do, but it does hold the chimes and bird feeder!! I'm still not much of a photographer, sorry! The second pic was meant to show some of the designs I stamped into the face, so that much is mostly visible, as is the cockeyed scroll support.

Funny, I had to go back and look at the flag holder, I did not even realize it was in the pic, I was going for the snake look with a leaf termination in a cobra like position, next time I will go with something thicker than 1/4 inch, some of the thunderstorms around here pack a wallop, and it has distorted in the wind.