I Forge Iron

transmission parts

Most transmission gears are case hardened cast. I have dealt with many broken and chipped ones. Some gears are steel, I'm guessing 4140. Main shafts, the shafts the gears slide onto are normally good solid steel. the shafts that the shifter/slider forks ride on are good stuff as well.

"Gears in automotive transmissions are usually made from a steel alloy that is later heat treated to be more resistant to fatigue, and then surface hardened to resist wear"

Doesn't say a thing on if thery are cast steel or forged steel---or cast and then forged---or not does it. Cast does not necessarily mean Cast iron. Especially as I don't know of any case hardening process for a material that already has so much carbon in it that it precipitates out as graphite.

"Gears in automotive transmissions are usually made from a steel alloy that is later heat treated to be more resistant to fatigue, and then surface hardened to resist wear"

Doesn't say a thing on if thery are cast steel or forged steel---or cast and then forged---or not does it. Cast does not necessarily mean Cast iron. Especially as I don't know of any case hardening process for a material that already has so much carbon in it that it precipitates out as graphite.
I took the 'some gears are steel' to mean the others are not... sorry if I got his intent wrong. :)

I had wondered about hardening CI.