I Forge Iron

gas forge size misconception?

Ok I put together a gas forge from an old one that was discarded, welded the holes and put in 1" of insawool. I bought a burner 3/4" burner. Its the hybridburner.
The inside dimensions are approx. 7" x 12" x 9" my calculator come up with 720 cu ". It heats up a jack hammer bit to orange in lets say 10 minutes. It plenty hot for all the work that I have been using it for. no itc 100 only 1" of wool and not very tight around the seams. the box was set up for 3 burnersI plugged 2 with wool. I have not tried to get to welding temp, but I get most of the heat that I need in a timely manner at 5psi.
So I am wondering about the size requirements, I had asked this before I actually put measured this one in another post. Part of my reason is the idea of having more than one forge just for forging and a smaller one for welding. I guess I will find out anyway when I build it, but just for speculation I am thinking that 1000 cu" if I use 2" of wool, and itc. and only one 3/"4 burner.
Experimental I guess, I can always put another inch of wool lin there if it doesn't work. Sorry for all the theorizing on this subject, but just trying to get a better handle within my melon to make my "WAS" guess.

I don't know if it's a misconception but a lot of folk don't realize the burner to volume rule of thumb of 1 ea. 3/4" burner for 300cu/in is for welding heat, not general forging.

There's nothing wrong with running a cooler forge for general work. Heck, it's only sensible to not run full out when you only need cruise.

If you need welding heat in a large volume, single burner forge simply block off part of it. That's how my variable volume forge works, when I want positive welds I shrink the volume to way below the rule of thumb value. Works like a charm.

I'd say you have the idea.

Frosty