I Forge Iron

Found, strange stamps

Hi all,
While out of town and stopping at some junk, (antique) stores, I came upon a box of old metal "stamps". Most were 1 inch square stock about 3 or 4 inches long. Many were marked, Made In England. The stamping ends were a veriety of flowery designs, geometric shapes, grids ect. Nothing that looked like a Touche Mark. I don't think they are for decorative sheet metal work, even on the 1 inch square ones the stanp is only about a 1/2 inch square. Many were 1/2 inch stock with 1/4 inch designs. They had benn hammered on the opposing ends. Looked awful heavy duty for leather work. Any ideas?
I'll get some pictures next trip if anyone has some ideas.
Thanks, JB Bergman

They could have been welders certification stamps. Where I used to work, each welder had a stamp that was just about any shape; stars, flowers, non-objective shapes, etc. My first one resembled a cow's head. I wore it out and my next one was just a triangle with one curved side. These stamps were cataloged and a copy was kept in our personnel record in the weld tech department and copies were sent to various offices of our customers when requested such as the DOT of any given state/country where our product was sold. We were required to stamp everything we welded. Ours were generally made from 1/2" - 3/4" stock with and image about 3/8" - 1/2" at its largest section. Just a thought or two ;)

My first thought would have been decorative leather work. With a lot of use, the other end would get that "hammered" look from all the stamping done. The next thought was decorative TIN work. Stamping designs into sheets of tin. Most people think about the decorative punch-through or chisel-through work on tin, but lots was also done by just tapping in a design using stamps.

Mikey

Do you plan on ever trying Chasing and Repousse? Even if you don't plan on it they're worth keeping around in case you do. They'll also make outstanding trading stock. Lots of people do chasing and repousse.

Heck, you aught to take a lash at it, you have the tools. It's very enjoyable and you can do it in front of the TV after dinner if you want. Oh sure, people will be shushing you, maybe even throwing things if it's a good show but what the hey, you'll be the one with the hammer. ;)

Frosty

Do they look like this??

Page 96 Dixon Chasing Tools : Metal Techniques for Craftsmen by Oppi Untracht

fits your description.

I found them while looking for info on chisels, and thought they looked familier.

One of my friends is a full time metal smith that has found his niche doing pewter "art forms" and Hollow ware. For people in that end of the business those tools are a worth their weight in any thing.

He makes his own tools and hammers for the most part but having that selection would make him very happy.

JB:

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. IFI is represented by members from more than 50 countries and a lot of info is location specific. Also if local folk know where you are they can invite you to gatherings, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty