I Forge Iron

Video: The making of a straight razor

Thought you guys might enjoy this video. I myself am skittering down the slope of straight razor shaving. DOVO is a german brand that is well liked. Here's a video of their manufacturing process. I don't speak german, but it was a good look anyway.

Closed die forging, liquid bath heat treating (lead?), grinding, etc.

http://www.kabeleins.de/doku_reportage/abenteuer_leben/videos/herstellung/artikel/01500/

I haven't shaved with anything but a straight razor in a year. I've considered making one, but I'm not ready yet to attempt a hollow grind that precise. I'd still like to make my own though.

Thanks for the vid.

Yeah, that's a nifty little device. I was having difficulties with the vid, and didn't see that part at first. I'll have to see about rigging up something. I don't know about the lever, I'll have to watch it again.

Could not find the way to the razors.Grin.

I have made razors with deer horn handles. I use O1 or A2 steel and hollow grind them just like a fine hunting knife. They are the simplest cutting instrument to make. Just have to figure where and how long the notch in handle needs to be.

Chuck