I Forge Iron

Hello to all from MN

I am formerly of South Africa and I have been living in this great country since 2002. I currently live in town but I am in the process of closing on a 6 acre property. I am not a smith yet hehe I plan to try my hand at bladesmithing as soon as I move to the rural property. I plan on starting with railroad spike knives and tomahawks. I do not have any equipment, experience yet but I plan on working towards those ends real soon. I am debating with myself whether or not to go with a propane forge or a coal forge, it seems easier to go with the propane forge although from my limited knowledge so far it would seem better to use coal for the purpos eof adding carbon to the steel? If this is incorrect I apologise I am in the very beginning stages of learning. Anyhow I am glad to be here and look forward to having many discussions with you all.

Luke 22:36

36. Then he said to them, "But now, the person who has a wallet and a traveling bag should take them along. The person who doesn't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one.

Edited by whiteboer

Welcome aboard Whiteboer, glad to have you.

There are a lot of resources here to help you get started, reading through the "Lessons in metalworking, Getting started and Blueprints" sections will get you up and running. Besides lessons, there are tips, tricks, tools and equipment in use by experienced blacksmiths every day.

Searching the forum will help as well. In particular there are a couple threads about people wanting to make blades as an introduction to metal working. There are many skills necessary to making competent let alone good blades. The experienced folk pretty much ALL recommend you begin with general blacksmithing and metal working skills BEFORE you attempt the advanced stuff.

A REALLY good place to start is a little basic metallurgy. eg. RR spikes are NOT suitable for making cutting tools, they're BIG NAILS, made from low carbon steel.

Frosty

I agree the RR spikes are not great steel but I thought that using such easily availible steel to practice would be a good idea. You know, screw up a cheap/free piece of steel versus screwing up a more expensive one. Once again thanks for the advice.

Yes, they're excellent for practice. Heck, they're excellent steel made to pretty tight specs and good fro a lot of things, tongs for instance. They just don't make good cutting implements.

Rail clips are good medium quality steel and will make acceptable blades, hawks and hammers, from they're from the same source too.

Frosty

Welcome to the list
What part of MN do you live in.
I am in the south central
84 miles from IA and 84 miles from SD near Redwood Falls.
This Saturday Tom Latane' will be demonstrating near Euclaire, WI. He is not a bladesmith but is known for his blacksmithing world wide.
I believe he will be dmaking wood working tools so he will be heat treating.
Tom uses charcoal at his shop and probably on the road.
I plan to attend.
This is the badger blacksmith group
contact info should be on this home page under groups.

As for adding carbon you arent going to leave the steel in the fire long enough
to matter. If anything you will get more decarb than adding. To add carbon the iron needs to be put in an air tight container with charcoal hide trimmings hooves ect and left for hours at heat correct?

Hi back,

It is Ok to tell your name and location here. Continue to participate in this great Forum. You are in luck in MN. Visit the Guild of Metalsmiths at: The Guild of Metalsmiths Over 300 members, heavy on blacksmithing. Regular courses on basic blacksmithing, metal crafts, tool making and forging. Absolutely the best bunch of Minnesota people interested in metal working!

Join up and start attending a class. Download the Monthly Forum at the Guild web site.

Henry Votel
Forest Lake, MN