I Forge Iron

hi from Alaska

Alaska

hi every one I am a firefighter and EMS ett live it a small town on a island in southeast Alaska
I was given a forge two years ago now and have been making knives and things
but I a am still new to this

I am the asst. fire chief here live on a boat and no the forge is not on the boat

we just got land so I will be moving on to land and making a new forge

just started to work with 5160 spring steal

just wanted to say hi

thanks for the great welcomes

pow island where north of Anchorage I have lived all over Alaska

Cool, I have some really good memories of POW and Craig, there're more than a few amusing stories too. Is Mike still chasing UFOs?

I'm in the Mat. Valley literally across Vine Rd. from Wasilla. Satellite pic search 2684 Vine Rd. 99687. Our place has the green roof (house) next to the blue roof. (barn) Last I checked the pic was from around 2003 so the shop doesn't show.

If you get up this way please look us up and bring the family, we have lots of friendly critters.

Heck, if any of you galoots are visiting Alaska, look us up, I'll do what I can to set you up with whatever you want to do, see, etc. local contacts you know. ;)

Frosty

Bummer. Logging or fishing? . . . Well, there ARE a few support type jobs available of course but those are the two main categories. I'd guess Logging seeing as it's Thorne Bay. ;)

Do you have any pics? I haven't been there since the early-mid 90's. We were doing the soil sampling and quarry exploration drilling for the Thorne Bay road.

Frosty

ARGH! You said you were a firefighter in your first post!

It's a sad thing when you see someone losing their memory but it isn't so bad from the inside because you don't remember. ;)

No sweat on the pics but it'd be kind of cool to see if it's changed since last time I was there.

Frosty

It's not like you're on a time clock here so I'll only dock you half a day. Hows that? ;)

You need two goats, they're herd animals and need a buddy or they aren't going to be happy and will end up eccentric in unpleasant ways.

Frosty

yeah we know it is hard to get them here but there are some so we will start looking soon

well we are going to get hot here so I will be on call till we start going rain again

and no forging till we get rain :mad: we are real dry here and going to get dryer still

found some coal here on island want to go look at it soon see if we can use it

It's hard for me to imagine anywhere in SE being dry. Still, it doesn't really take no rain long to dry out a rain forest.

Coal on POW? Is it a seam or shipped in? I wouldn't be more than mildly surprised to hear there was coal on the island, the geology is such a composite, just about everything else is there somewhere.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a sparkless wait for rain.

Frosty