I Forge Iron

I am testing because I can show an intelligent interest in a number of different areas of human endeavour. I also have a friend who is a physics PhD who is often looking for projects for his students.

The reason it is being tested is so that the US supplier can know about the quality of the product. Selling something as long life as an anvil involves the vendor in a contingent liability in respect of warranty claims. To quantify, manage, restrct and ideally eradicate that liability can be done only if there is considerable knowledge of the product- i.e. how good it is and how long it can be expected to last.

What is in it for me? Do I do it for giggles? Who knows? One thing is for sure. I heartily wish I had never started this thread.

Just so, cast in or stamped markings go deeper than the surface. Magnafluxing is one method as polishing and etching. Polarized light is another test tool.

Frosty

Also I would think that even ground off the casting would probably still show signs of the logo- maybe under polarised light or if magfluxed. To an even badly equipped forensic examiner it is almost impossible to remove such markings- like gun serial numbers etc.

Cool here is anything with western writing on it. It doesn't have to make sense or even have the letters the correct way round. If you PM me I will let you know about some of the funnier ones I have seen but they are not for a public forum.

Philip, I for one have been following your posts in this thread with interest. Sorry if you feell like some have been negative, please don't stop on that account?
Am looking forward to hearing the price when they go on sale. Although I cannot afford a new anvil at present one day I'd like to buy one, and more competition has to be good for keeping prices sensible - something they're definitely not here in Oz.