I Forge Iron

anvil stand design

I have a newly acquired 253 pound Trenton anvil that I am very anxious to get set up and working. I need to get it on some sort of stand. I have some old I-beam out back that is kinda short pieces but plenty long for an anvil stand. This beam is 8 inches tall and about 3 1/2 inches wide with approximately 1/4 inch thick stock. Would this make a good anvil stand seeing that it is free except for the gas to cut it. I have used stumps in the past but this would take a big one and I am wondering if the I-beam material might add to the effective mass of my whole set-up whereas wood might just soak up any hammer forces that reach it rather than rebounding them back into my material and thence my hammer. What is the feeling among those with more experience out there.

My old anvil was a smallish (80 to 100 pounds) Chinese thing which has very noticeably less rebound than this new anvil and I am anxious to maximize my new advantage with it. I also plan to swing some two handed hammers on this anvil.

Are you talking about taking the I beam and cutting your legs from that? That may work, although they will be fairly massive.

If you want to make a really serious steel anvil stand I would read through this thread. I am in the progress of finishing my own anvil stand, utilizing some of the tricks I learned from Hofi and people who've made stands for their Nimba Anvils.
http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f83/anvil-stand-help-10503/ Anvil Stand Help

So you want it to throw the hammer back at your forehead?

It will be loud too.

Functionality in mind, It doesn't matter what you make the stand out of as long as it is stable.

Wood may dampen it some I suppose........ that seems logical, but it might actually provide some rebound to the whole anvil and hammer while dampening the sound.

My anvil stand is from an I-beam, and you can see it, and the problems with it, here: Blacksmith Class Projects Just scroll down about 1/3 of the way.

Bottom line, I guess it depends on how you mount the anvil. I went with the I-beam horizontal and the web of the beam did not hold my 140-lb anvil steady at all. I had to weld in some supports to stiffen it. Also, it did make a real loud clang. Since my anvil is a Fisher, it's quiet itself, but the clang countered that. A piece of plywood between anvil and beam made it quiet.

I would probably make a steel tripod if I went to do this again, but I was brand new and having fun with the welder. I still use it, by the way. My modifications fixed whatever problems I had. I found I wanted it higher, so now the feet sit on 4X4's, but otherwise it hasn't changed.

My anvil stand is from an I-beam, and you can see it, and the problems with it, here: Blacksmith Class Projects Just scroll down about 1/3 of the way.

Bottom line, I guess it depends on how you mount the anvil. I went with the I-beam horizontal and the web of the beam did not hold my 140-lb anvil steady at all. I had to weld in some supports to stiffen it. Also, it did make a real loud clang. Since my anvil is a Fisher, it's quiet itself, but the clang countered that. A piece of plywood between anvil and beam made it quiet.

I would probably make a steel tripod if I went to do this again, but I was brand new and having fun with the welder. I still use it, by the way. My modifications fixed whatever problems I had. I found I wanted it higher, so now the feet sit on 4X4's, but otherwise it hasn't changed.