I Forge Iron

Guillotine tool

triw

Here is a guillotine tool I made to start the angle on my blades. I cut the angle in the tool with an angle grinder and files. The back of the cut is 1/4 " and is approx 2" long. I do not taper the blade to an edge with this but just start the taper. William

14050.attach

14051.attach

Neat!! Does it tend to cause a curve to the blade? (easily corrected) but just curious :)

I was taught to bend the blade before I do this so as the blade curves it actually strighten its self out. If you can figure out what I mean.

if this is how you get the bevel, how does manage the distal taper?

I draw out the distal taper by hand. Edited by triw

I'm guessing that you only use this to tidy up the transition from ricasso to blade bevel? If you are using it to forge out the bevel all the way along the blade then I reckon you are going about it the hard way!

I've thought about making such a thing for tidying up but I've not found anything that I'm happy with, especially as I don't work to patterns (ie the same width/thicknes/taper of blade). Any chance of a picture of it in action? :)

I must have missed that part, as I assumed you were setting bevels along the blade the way it read. But I am good at being Confused easily. makes sense to be a necking tool. I like it

Edited by steve sells