I Forge Iron

Advice on a Blower

billp

I just acquired (a new to me) blower I don't know for sure the brand name but maybe a Camedy-Otto. It has a nice hole in the outside casing I would like to fix but not real sure just how to start. Thinking about molding a small piece of thin sheet metal around the outside to cover just the hole but not sure on how to attach it yet. Also need to figure out how to make a stand of some sort as I don't see any way that is build onto the blower. Have a few ideas on this as well but would really love to hear from some of you fellows with more experience.
Almost forgot, it's also missing the handle but I know I can get that one no problem but still would not turn down any other ideas.

So if anyone has any ideas on any of the above problems please let me know. After all two heads are better then one. I placed some photos below.

Bill P

14047.attach

14048.attach

14049.attach

I'm not sure of your capabilities and available tools but you could mold a fiberglass patch over the hole or fasten some sheet metal with pop rivets or screws, A lot of the repair plan will depend on how you want it to look when it's completed - like most things, baling wire and duct tape will "work"...more or less.

No, I sorry to say I don't and I didn't ask the man I got it from but, I feel if he did have it he would have sent it with the blower. He really did me right by the deal to spite the looks. I may try the sheet metal with pop rivets. Problem is there just not much room inside for the blades to clear so what ever I do can't take up much room if any at all. I do want to try and coat the screws with oil that are holding the housing together. I feel I can get a better idea of what and how if I get this thing apart. Plus get a look at the gears and such to make sure all is holding up well.
The handle I figure I'll weld a bar to a short tube with a set screw and attach a wood handle to that. I have a fair wood shop with a small ark welder so that part is no problem. I'm just not sure of the housing metal and if I can weld on that with stick. Don't want to make a bigger problem then I all ready have. As for the housing repair it don't have to be pretty just has to work.
Bill P

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the small rivet forges had the blowers attached directly to the forge. I have a similar blower and I made a stand by making a "frame" for the air hole part of the blower to sit down in (I pointed it down so gravity will help hold it). I made the frame so it is as tight a fit as possible. The stand is simply made out of angle iron. If it were me I would slap some duct tape on there and get her goin'! my wife says that's my answer to everything! :)

Either fiberglass of a metal patch will do you well. It ain't rocket science. Canedy Otto blowers are fairly common around here . Picking up one that has trashed gears would give you a new housing.
Finnr