I Forge Iron

Miller Tig Welder, Dialarc

Jason M

It looks like the new torch and ground clamp belong to the newer welder on top. If its still in working order (the wiring looks like something to worry about), Miller TIGs should last for eons, but with all detrimental factors in mind, i wouldn't pay more than 400$ for it (and then you may just end up doubling that on repairs). I think i'd rather save my money a get one of Miller's fancy new compact TIGs which go for just over 1000$ brand spankin' new. Check to see if you can still buy parts for it.

Edited by Steel&Clay

A reliable heavy duty machine, capable of welding most anything you can throw at it. The only disadvantage to the older machines such as this, is the lack of AC balance controll and lack of pulse and pulse adjustment. You can still do anything without those features, but balance controll enables a beginer to learn to weld aluminum easier, and pulse can give consistent looking beads in difficult to weld metals with less effort and skill. The trade off though is that a modern machine with the power and duty cycle of that Dialarc with a watercooler and accessories will cost thousands.

Arftist is pretty much right on the money. I ran 4 of those machines for years, never had a problem with any of them. Should do whatever you would ask from it. The Miller water cooler is a plus, nice unit, quiet and works well. Did not see a foot pedal but those can be bought off EBAY for under $ 75.00.
A lot of people only want the newer Miller Syncro Waves with all the bells and whistles, the older machines will weld just as well and any parts for the older machines are way cheaper than an $800.00 circuit board for a Syncro Wave.
IMHO I would say it will go for between $400 to $600 with the water cooler. But you never know at a weekend auction.
Good luck. Ben

I can't tell by looking but I assume it's a Dialarc HF ? They also make standard Dialarc's which you could scratch start TIG with, but if there is a cooler I'm sure it's an HF. I bought a Syncrowave 300 with all the options but it's a monster, size wise and current requirements also. It's a great machine though. They are all bulletproof.

I went to the auction and saw the welder. The one thing I was concerned about was amp draw. I knew it was going to be a lot, and unfortunately it was too much. 90 amps at 240 volts. OUCH! It's a bummer only having 100 amp service at my house.