I Forge Iron

Powwer Hammer die steels ???

Mine are all 4140 ,which sometimes seems a little soft but they won't chip. I have had my dies made by Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith Shop or from Little Giant. They both do a good job and the dies do fit right the first time and stay tight in the dovetail. I usually buy the die keys from the same source or forge and grind them out of mild steel.

I usually use a sacrificial scrap of copper sheet beneath any swages used under the hammer to keep the scale from being pounded into the surface of the of the die. I also radius the edges and grind the top and bottom surfaces of the swage smooth to preserve the die faces. Does anyone else do this?

There are a wide variety of steels that will work well for dies. Some of the more common grades are: 4140, 4330, 4340, S7, H13.

Hardness on hammer dies should be around Rc50, about the sames as a good hammer or anvil.

Patrick

There are a wide variety of steels that will work well for dies. Some of the more common grades are: 4140, 4330, 4340, S7, H13.

Hardness on hammer dies should be around Rc50, about the sames as a good hammer or anvil.

Patrick

thanks to all for the input.....:):) now to get to work !!