I Forge Iron

first knife

therepairman1557

This is my first forged knife. The blade is done as far as i can take it before heat treat i still need to smooth out the handle profile yet. I am making this for a friend, he makes fly rods so i am trading him. I've made a few stock removal knives but this is my first actual forged blade. I made it from a file. Any ideas on how to finish the handle? I will post final picture when i am done.

13420.attach

Hey, i like the shape too!

Make sure to sharpen it cleanly later, that is still one of my problems.
For a handle: I would drill two holes into the tang for small stainless-pins. Glue the scales on with epoxy.

If the knife shall be used for outdoors work (bird and trout knife?) with water contact, you could take a very dense wood like ebony. Make sure to seal the lines where wood meets metal, avoid water creeping beneath the wooden scales. Then apply tung/linseedoil over the days until the wood can't take up any more, polish it afterwards.

Well done, a very elegant shape! How do you plan to protect the blade surface when you heat treat it? I expect it will get all scaled up up and you will have to completely refinish it after tempering. You can buy stainless steel foil from knifemakers supply. Wrap it up before you HT it and the oxygen can't get to it.

Quentin, the wood you speak of is called diamondwood, and comes in many different color patterns. It is basically a form of plastic impregnated plywood. Very hard, and polishes out gorgeously. My fav color combo is black and red. It is hard enough to lathe real nicely for pen pencil sets, and will withstand weathering quite well too.....