I Forge Iron

Hammer remake

Frosty, sometimes folks cut off a few millimeters of the flat side to even out the balance.

The hammer looks real nice :)

Ditto on the niceness!! I see old ballpeins at flea markets all the time cheap. I guess if I get the US-made the steel might be better??

Could one instead upset the flat side to move the cg more to the center? I suppose it would be very difficult to do that and not distort the hole.

Heck, I don't know what this one is made from but it seems to be doing well enough. Being a bit out of balance isn't bothering me so far so I'm not going to mess with it.

The next time I find one of these I may try forging the face into a pein to see how that works though I like having a flat(ish) face opposite the pein.

Frosty

About me being "strong",Frosty,i'll quote my old employer,an immortal Alaskan Sid Huntington:"The only strong thing about me is I smell strong!".
I really hear Charlotte,in her post above.Phil set both of us up with a Centaur's 1000g Swidish style jobs.The reins were about 3/8"circle in radius-sharp enough to ruin anything in a single blow(the damage is NOT,necessarily,visible,mind you).
I know that the manufacturies know what they're about.I must assume that many sell their hammers "dress to your own spec's"type of a deal,like some ww tools.