I Forge Iron

Changes in Davis, CA

iron giant

First and foremost a thank you to all who manage and contribute to this site. I've been lurking for some time, tossing around dreams scenarios, changes in life, the usual. I live in Davis CA, near Sacramento, and have a nice shop here where I have been doing Auto mechanical and basic fabrication work for some time. I have slowly been shifting my shop focus to cater to my seething creative side which has not allowed me to forget its there. I bought an Anvil, built a propane forge, repositioned the Hossfeld, and am re-arranging the shop to be less Auto oriented.

I would absolutely love to work in someones shop for a while, or even spend a weekend with someone in the area to help me get going. All I ever hear is this is not a good time to start this kind of business... but then the greatest things are born of adversity.

Regards,
David

It is never a GOOD time, you can always find excuses or some one that wants to rain on your parade. Do your homework, consult your wife and family (you will need their support) and make your own decision. Do not be afraid to change things or make adjustments when you find something not working, or find that there is a better way of doing something. The turtle won the race cause he stuck his neck out, and was determined enough to keep going.

Blacksmithing Groups - all states

California
California Blacksmith Association - CBA
Contact those folks and go to the meetings.

Thank you Glenn.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, I have no wife or kids to contend with! It's been one of those back burner, what if, kind of things for some time now. I considered going to school but have always learned from the school of hard knocks, which tends to be much cheaper. That, and I'm still paying for my last degree (Philosophy, cough!).

David
First off WELCOME!
Second bring yourself and your Philosophy Degree to the CBA Spring Conferance later this month 23rd through 26th. There will be enough knowladge, inspiration and a whole lot more to get you going or sustain you in your move. Glen, so kindly supplied the link!

I live in Grass Valley, Wana come play?

Absolutely, I would be honored. I was just reading your "inspiration" thread and found myself nodding the whole time thinking this is it, wood, metals, my hands... I've only been wrenching full time for about four years but feel like I've repressed a huge part of me. I am a builder by nature and must create, not just fix other people's creations.

David,
There's lots of good folks within reasonable driving distance of you there in Davis. Look up John Crandall of the CBA. He's currently the Education Committee chair, and has open forge / classes at his place on certain Saturdays. Unfortuneately I'm going to be missing Spring Conference this year. Only have two weeks of vacation time, and my family reunion is this year. But next year when it comes back up North I'll be there.

Welcome to the active bunch David, glad you delurked.

If you can make the transition gradually, let the bread and butter job pay for the soul job. See "The Romance is Gone " thread for examples. My folks drummed a depression era philosophy into me till I wanted to scream, "You have to have a fallback". Meaning of course the more trades you know the less likely you'll be out of a job. To stand in soup lines or starve in their reckoning.

People will always need their cars fixed, especially in harder times and that will keep the roof over your head and some freedom to pursue creativity.

For myself, I've wanted a little blacksmith shop since I was maybe 10 but never saw enough demand to think it'd be a full time profession. So, I've worked a paycheck job and smithed as I could.

I'm not saying it is THE way to go, just an alternative that worked for me. On the other hand I see folk who do make a living full time and sometimes wonder what would've happened if I'd been a little braver.

Oh well, it's milk under the dam. ;)

Frosty

I.G., I say pretty much what the others have said, if you need to let the creative side of you flow don't try to stop it. Plug it up and you will die or at least a part of you will. Like Frosty my old man tried to kill that part and it almost killed me so visit the smiths near you, light a fire and get some metal hot and beat the daylights out of it, you'll like it.:cool: