I Forge Iron

Forge Welded Squid...

I was playing in the shop today. Inspired by Brian Brazeal's Squid (from his web page), I tried one of my own... I had a photo of his with me to help, BUT I laid it down on the forge, turned my back and, well- It was a LITTLE too close to the fire... So I had to kind of improvise :)

I haven't done much forge welding in the past- My first couple of tries weren't successful, so I kind of gave it up... But it went pretty well today. I practiced on a bundle of 4 before attempting the bundle of 10 that I did the squid with.

I didn't leave as much material as I would have liked for the body, and have a whole list of things that I'll do differently next time, but it's a start! I'm just glad that the forge welds worked :)

12987.attach

12988.attach

12989.attach

Thanks, Brian, Karen, & Finnr...

I was just happy that the forge weld worked. I plan to use a collar next time to help hold the bundle together, too... This time I was just concentrating on getting all 10 arms (tentacles?) welded together! I wish I had a few extra tentacles to help!

Good job on that! As you say though, you now have a list of things to do differently. That is a big part of the learning process. That is how you improve on yourself by taking note of what did or din't work. You are on the right track! Keep it up and you will master welding before too long.

Terry

You'll find that this approach makes welding easier because you have a large mass onthe end that allows you to easily put it into your hot spot, and with a collar around the pieces, the area that you are welding starts out smaller than your hammer. This sets you up so the only contact with your hammer and anvil is where you are wanting to hit to make your weld. Besides not bringing your piece upto temp or not hitting squarely, there is little room for error. You can also wire the pieces together on the other side of the collar so they act as one piece and are not flopping all over the place and the wire can protect your finished pieces from excessive oxidation.

12999.attach

• 1 month later...

Good first effort andgott. Today you learned something new. Today I learned that squid have 10 legs (tentacles) not eight like the octopus. I saw a similar squid somewhere on the net that had the Squid mounted in one corner of a mirror frame with the tentacles forming the square surrounding frame. Food for thought.... hey go for it.
Chris.