I Forge Iron

Using coke

SGropp

I just bought 3 tons of what was called "smithing coke" from Utah. I bought it with a group of smiths here in the PNW to get the price down to a reasonable point. I am not sure of the exact origin as I was not part of setting up the deal. Good quality coal seems to be no longer available in our region, since Harry's Leather stopped carrying Cumberland Elkorn a few years ago.

The coke is very clean, all about the size of a walnut , with virtually no fines. The clinker is harder and glassier than from coal.

I am having a hard time getting it to burn as really as hot as I was hoping for.
I am using a standard rectangular Centaur/Buffalo firepot with a Dayton electric blower [not sure of the CFM] which has worked fine with all the tons of coal I've put through it.

My question is ; do I need a bigger blower? deeper firepot ? deeper fire? modified technique ?

I've been experimenting with different methods of burning this coke but so far my success or not has been sporadic.

I only use the coal/coke forge for small work,welding,short heats or pieces that will not fit in the gasser. The gas forge is so much more efficient for longer heats and multiple pieces, but the coal/coke forge is an an essential tool in the arsenal.

Anybody here have any advise based on real experience with using this type of fuel? :confused:

for me its always a little picky about getting it going however once lit after about 20 minutes on low blower it gets crazy hot.....as an experiment you might try breaking it into smaller pieces which will give you more surface area per pound and should burner faster and hence hotter

although i have a large blower most of the time it runs on the slowest speed the control allows.........i do kick it up a bit for forge welding but probaly not more than 25% of full speed

12915.attach

12916.attach

12917.attach

12918.attach

Edited by johnptc

• 3 weeks later...

I solved the problem by replacing my fire pot [ which was shot anyway ] with a heavier and much shallower fire pot made especially for burning coke. I also upgraded to a bigger blower. I got both of these from Centaur Forge. It bolted right into my existing tuyere which also originally came from Centaur. I cemented it in flush with the bed of the forge table with Mizzou 3000 castable refactory from Seattle Pottery.

This was not a cheap fix but now I'm back in business with some serious heat and no smoke or stink.

glad you figured it out .. i have been useing coke for years and prefer it to coal for a lot of reasons but its easy liteing propertys isnt one of them.. just remember that if you leave the forge put a piece of wood into the middle of the fire .. it will keep it going longer so you dont have to refire the forge ... otherwise every time you leave it for a few minutes it will go out.... are you a member of nwba? if so see you at the 30th anaversary in the fall!