I Forge Iron

ferrule or thimble ?

dimenickel

Hi

i'm trying to make a ferrule.. its basically a thimble ... I'm using thin flat iron sheet stock and a very rounded punch .... and pressing the sheet into an enlarged hole..
- i keep getting the sheet in aways...maybe 1/2 inch... then all of a sudden it starts to shear.... even though there is plenty of room on the sides of the form.........tried with heat, cold, going slow, small taps.. larger hole... still same outcome..

is there a blueprint on how to do this for a similar shape.. ... i know if i had some pitch and tried raising it that way it would work.. but i don't have any on hand and its a one of type job... ( so i'd rather not waste money )

appreciate any help

Greg

Though pressing out is a way to do this, a more common way is to cut out the appropriate size and shape it round and solder or braze a buttjoint closed and dress the joint, then cut out an end cap to fit and braze or solder that piece as well. Soft sheet iron may be soft, but does not have the ductility or sheer strength needed for this project. Just my two cents worth! Wes

the way that I make thimble shaped ferrules is by starting off with steel tube. Using a pair of 1/2" round fullers (spring fuller in hardy) I neck the tube in gradually turning it as I go. Once finished I cut through the narrow neck and then an inch or so along the tube in either direction and I have two nice thimble shaped ferrules that have a round hole in the centre :)

Hi

the thimble should be about 3/4" od... and its basically for a pommel cap for a sword that i'm making... the sword type is a shamshir and the pommel cap is called a kollah.

i'll try beveling the die some more and see if that works..

thanks for the ideas... it has to be of one piece..

i'll see what i can come up with..

Greg;)

A picture would help. Without a picture I would suggest to forge the tube then fuller the end if it needs to be closed.

the thimble should be about 3/4" od... and its basically for a pommel cap for a sword that i'm making... the sword type is a shamshir and the pommel cap is called a kollah. Greg;)